Thursday, June 09, 2011

The Stoop!

For a couple years now I have had this idea, this longing, this deep desire for a resurgence of, 'the stoop'.  The stoop, being that front step (or veranda in some cases) where people sit leisurely, maybe enjoy a beverage or tiny snack, and are one with the neighborhood.  The stoop is a delightful alternative.  Why not enjoy the front of the house instead of always retreating to the deck on the back.  Sure, I love the quiet, peacefulness of the back deck (...'er when the neighbors aren't mowing the lawn or the neighborhood kids are having a loud water fight).  It is peaceful to sit out back and drink morning coffee on a Saturday and delve into a good book.  But, there is something entirely different about the personality of the stoop.  In fact, the thought of building a relationship with the front of the house is something entirely exciting.

I have spent hours imagining the delight that the stoop could generate.  For example, a warm summer's day brings people outside.  A wave of hello; a howdy-doo to the neighbors and the warmth of summer is recreated in the soul!!  There's also that small chance that perhaps something unusual could happen that would be missed without the effort of some stoop time!  (Uhhhh, more of a chance depending on WHICH neighborhood you live in!! haha). 

This year it was time. I made it happen.  I am bringin' back the simple pleasure of a stoop, baby!  B-r-i-n-g-i-n-g  i-t!!!  We live in a townhouse neighborhood. It's quaint with a centre courtyard full of plants and benches.  Very nice.  I could go there and enjoy the neighborhood and nature.  In fact, I have on a few occasions.  While nice there, there's just something in my soul that just really wants to 'stoop' at home.  That's right stoop.  Verb it.  The art of stooping.  Stoopendous!!  Of course!

Since living in Calgary, I have added some wonderful outdoor plants to our house in the summer.  And truly, I must say, they are quite lovely.  A brick planter is built onto the side of the house and I fill it each summer with bright, happy plants. I also add some along the generous front step.  Generous front step?  You bet... this is the stoop.

I have spent a lot of dream time trying to figure out just how I wanted to make the stoop happen; how I wanted to feel being there.  It has been very important to get it 'just right'; perfect the way I wanted it.   Lawn chairs on the cement pad?  Nah.  Lawn bench along the side of the house?  No, no, no.  Maybe those little fold up stools.  They'd be easy to store, and easy to put out.  Mmmm, no.

Last year I actually figured out exactly what I wanted, but the weather was just too unfavorable to enjoy it.  I hummed and hawed too long and then I just didn't do it.  This year though...it is ON!!  To make the stoop experience, I simply found some lawn chair cushions to throw down on the step.   They are easy to store, easy to pick up and set down, and in the spirit of our neighborhood's strict compliance to all things outdoor, I selected a color which matches the siding of our house perfectly.  Decor first, I always say!!  haha.

Tonight we enjoyed the stoop for the first time.  I made real iced tea with lemon and home-grown mint. Tim and I each threw down a perfectly color coordinated, thickly cozy cushion and relaxed.  We sat close to each other, and caught up on our day, over cold tea while supper did it's work in the oven.

The front of the house is much wamer in the early evening as the sun is in the west.  It was calming to smell the fresh flowers and watch the leaves cast dancing shadows on our feet.  It was nice to see the odd neighbor and furry companion saunter by. 

We didn't see any drama-like activity tonight though.  When I say, activity, I mean neighrbood drama.  While we sat, I was remarking to Tim that it would be fun if our stoop time also came with a show!!  One of my favorite movies of all time is, 'The Burbs'.  My mom and I have often quoted the show over and over when we've had exciting action in our own neighborhoods.  There was always drama in Edmonton...and my mom sees a fair bit in her neighborhood as a highrise condo lends for far reaching views in all directions.  Our quiet neighbhood has very little of it.  Which, really, is the best situation.

Tonight though, as I was thinking about 'The Burbs', it made me want to watch it again.  So while we had super, we watched it again.   It has ignited my desire for more stoop time!!  Of course, no drama is just fine... but rather it's the fact that we can become a part of the neighbood and the lives of those who call our street, home.

Not sure the next few days will generate too much stoop time...the weather is a bit iffy.  However, the forecast for tomorrow shows a possible thunderstorm.  THAT may be fun to watch from the stoop.  If it's a warm night thunderstorm, we'll sip a Gin and Tonic (it IS Friday after all), or if it's cold, a hot chocolate with a marshmallow!!  So excited!!   Stoop!!